?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

FIS_20240705_02.jpg

By Jamaico Rollorata

Cebu, The Philippines, 5 July 2024 -- The KOA CAMP 2024, held over two days on June 29-30 at Don Bosco Formation Center, offering a unique opportunity for young members of the sodality to grow as responsible leaders while also strengthening their faith. This created an environment for both personal and team development.

The first day of the camp began with a good morning talk by Fr. Vince, which clearly set a positive tone for the event. Aspiring leaders, including me, led dances that broke the ice among the participants, followed by several talks. The first speaker, Bro. Vanjo shared about the life of St. John Bosco and his personal journey, along with his passions and interests. During this talk, I learned that no matter how many tough tasks and challenges I face, it should not be a reason to give up and stop being a leader. This talk was then reinforced by Kuya Vhanne, who explained what KOA is all about. For me, KOA focuses on centering life around Christ, building brotherhood, and serving others with mind and heart.

We participants then engaged in group sharing sessions, reflecting on how serving God had changed us and positively affected others. I shared my personal story about how my involvement in KOA had transformed me for the better. This session gave me the opportunity to self-reflect, seeing how joining the Knights of the Altar helped me grow spiritually and personally. As the day wound down, all of the campers gathered around the MHC Garden to pray the rosary. This moment served as a reflection and also a time for us to pray together.

The second day began with a mass, followed by activities and games focused on team building and leadership. The highlight of Day 2 was the “Amazing Race.” We were all grouped into teams, and I was chosen as the team leader of Team Maylo. Our team faced many challenges that required cooperation and coordination. I admired my team’s eagerness to find answers to the clues given despite difficulty and confusion. As the team leader, I emphasized that our goal wasn’t just about winning and being competitive players but also about enjoying the process and staying united. This fostered cooperation within my team while also highlighting that it is important to balance competition with enjoyment.

Through this camp, I discovered my purpose within the Salesian community: to change what needs to be changed. I gained skills in managing teams despite challenges, and I also embraced my role as a first-time group leader and aspiring leader. Serving as a motivation to others, especially to young KOA members, I want to inspire people to persevere in what they do and never give up. This experience showed me that by encouraging fun and fostering unity and social interaction, we can inspire and uplift each other, making our journey of personal growth and leadership fulfilling and impactful.

FIS_20240705_01.jpg

FIS_20240705_03.jpg

FIS_20240705_04.jpg

FIS_20240705_05.jpg

FIS_20240705_06.jpg

FIS_20240705_07.jpg