?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 625 Comment 0

Bernard.jpg

Personal reflection of Fr Bernard Kaiau, SDB

I’m motivated by seeing the untiring efforts of Salesian missionaries in our country, who continue to mould, shape, and form our young people to become good Christians and honest citizens. It is God who calls me to be his instrument of change in transforming my life and the lives of those to whom I am called to serve, especially the poor and abandoned by following in the footsteps of Don Bosco as a Salesian cleric journeying to be a Salesian Priest. I look forward to committing myself fully to the Salesian Priesthood ministry. Most importantly to give a good example to the people by being a witness to the mission entrusted to me. Fr Bernard Kaiau shares with us his reflections.

Personal Background

I come from a Catholic family and I’m number four of seven siblings. My father is from Bunai village in Manus Province and my mother is from Malol village, Aitape District in Sandaun Province. My father is a teacher by profession while my mother manages our home. My vocation interest began at the early age of three years, thanks to the teachings and principles given by my parents. My parents made sure we attended every Sunday mass. My Catholic upbringing enabled me to have a great respect for religious priests, sisters and other lay people as instruments of God, spreading His word and love. As a young person, I would correct my friends when they swear or did something wrong, they would jokingly call me Pater (Priest). Even my aunty back home called me Pater because of my good behavior. I did not have a clear direction toward becoming a religious until I entered Don Bosco Vanimo in 2003 for secondary studies. My vocation to become a religious was strengthened with the help of the Salesians of Don Bosco. The learning environment was conducive, guiding me in all aspects of mental, social, and most especially spiritual aspects, creating a big impact on my life.

Formation

I began my Formation in Savio Haus Aspirantate in East Boroko from 2008 to 2011 while studying at Don Bosco Technological Institute. In 2012, I was sent to Don Bosco Formation Centre in Lawaan, Talisay City in Cebu Philippines to do my Pre-Novitiate from 2012 to 2013 and completed my novitiate in 2014. After my formation in Cebu, I came back to Papua New Guinea and had my first Religious Profession on May 14, 2014. From 2015 to 2016, I entered the Catholic Theological Institute in Bomana, Port Moresby to study Philosophy and Religious studies. In the following years, 2017 to 2018, I was sent to Don Bosco Simbu Technical College for practical training. In 2019, I was sent to Studium Theologicum Salesianum Ratisbonne Monastery for a four-year study in Theology and graduated on June 10, 2023.

Message to young people

(Matthew 17:25-26), “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?” This scripture has always strengthened me in my vocation journey, and I would like to use it as a challenge to our young people. Life is filled with choices, and we must make good choices that will guide us on the right path. Journeying to become a Salesian is a long formation program that requires great discipline yet is satisfying and fruitful. Only when we know God is behind our success, will we come to really appreciate our vocation and commit ourselves fully to it. Therefore, we must not be afraid and allow God to dwell in our lives to bring about a change in us. At the same time, we must be ready to go beyond our own limitations to serve the Lord with Joy and optimism as young people who are purpose-driven with a mission in life without counting the cost. As young people today, we must be willing and ready to give extra to our society of what we have learned and experienced and the aspect of giving should be more than receiving.

5.jpg

14 Bernard.jpg

IMG_8860 (1) (1).JPG

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5334(II)_Evangelisation through Soccer school and Salesian Youth Movement

ALA_5334 Two EAO Salesian missionaries among Amazon youth By Fr. Augustin Togo Wasakentsa - Ecuador, 9 March 2020 -- The 'Querida Amazonia' (Beloved Amazonia) Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis brings the attention of the universal Churc...
    Date2020.03.09 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views625 file
    Read More
  2. 4549(III)_Beautiful autumn nature journey with our mission partners

EPC is growing on the journey - Autumn outing By Fr. Moise Na, SDB Gwangju, Korea, 10 November 2017 -- The autumn nature around Gwangju in South Cholla Province is famous for it's beauty. Last Friday, November 10, two Salesians accompany al...
    Date2017.11.12 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views625 file
    Read More
  3. 4444(I)_Mekong Delta Orphanage is growing

Growing Like Pinardi Shed - Can Gio By Fr. Joseph Dang, SDB Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 22 July 2017 -- The Salesian can't survive without the poor young people. Already the first Salesian work in Hanoi (1952) was an Orphanage of St. Theresa...
    Date2017.07.23 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views625 file
    Read More
  4. 4398(I)_Telegu Group Cultural Gathering in Hong Kong

By Fr. Bala Kishore Miriyala, SDB Hong Kong, 27 May 2017 -- Together with Fr. Dolphie Sequiera I am involved in the Migrant Youth Ministry with a special focus on the Migrant Youth from South Asia. On 27th of May 2017, Saturday we had a cul...
    Date2017.06.03 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views625 file
    Read More
  5. 5843(IV)_Seminar for New Teachers in Salesian Schools

By Fr.Smith Daengampan Hua Hin, Thailand, 31 July 2022 -- On 28-30 July 2022, the Commission on Salesian Schools in Thailand, under the chairmanship of Fr Smith Daengampan, together with the heads of the various Salesian schools, organized ...
    Date2022.07.31 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views624 file
    Read More
  6. 5843(II)_The Salesian Province of Don Bosco Vietnam celebrates Provincial Community Day

By Viet SC DB Xuan Hiep, Thus Doc, Vietnam 31 July 2022 -- On July 30, 2022, at Don Bosco Xuan Hiep community, Thu Duc, Don Bosco Vietnam Salesian Province joyfully gathered to celebrate Provincial Community Day. In the spirit of the Consti...
    Date2022.07.31 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views624 file
    Read More
  7. 5536_Christmas Novena from Rome to Taiwan

ALA_5536 Taipei Salesians keep 300th anniversary of Christmas Novena By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti Taipei community rector Taipei, Taiwan, 18 December 2020 -- 16 December 2020 saw the 300th Anniversary of the beautiful Christmas Novena song ...
    Date2020.12.18 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views624 file
    Read More
  8. 5512(III)_Good news from Manila: Study edition of "Fratelli Tutti"

ALA_5512 By Fr. Salvatore Putzu, SDB Word & Life Publications Manila - Philippines, FIN Makati, Manila, the Philippines, 18 November 2020 -- After intense work and extensive research the 320 page 'Study Edition of the Fratelli Tutti' i...
    Date2020.11.18 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views624 file
    Read More
  9. 4180_Journey together with more hope and light

By Our Own Correspondent Bankok, Thailand, 26 October 2016 -- On his trip from Mongolia Delegation to Myanmar Vice-province Fr Angel F. Artime met for one full day (October 26) the FIS Provincial Fr. Godofredo Atienza and three of his counc...
    Date2016.10.27 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views624 file
    Read More
  10. 4010_Salesians are asked to start a new youth center in Suva Archdiocese

Australia - Pacific province animation visit 2016 By Our Own Correspondent Suva, Fiji, 20 May 2016 -- After Korean province the Regional councilor was able to attend to the animation visit also in the Province of Australia - Pacific (May 14...
    Date2016.05.20 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views624 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 ... 545 Next
/ 545