austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20220120_KOR-(1).jpg

Seoul, Provincial House, 22 January 2022 -- At present there are more than 10 Salesian confreres in the 107 SDB Korean province of the Korean Martyrs (Headquarters in Seoul) who are well trained in counselling of the young people. At the same time, aside froom many lay mission partners in the Salesian works for youth at risk, there are also two Counselling Centres. One is a local government centre in Kangwon province, entrusted to the Salesians years ago, and the other one is located in the Seoul provincial house. The latter previously know as 'Salesio Youth Suicide Prevention Centre' is now known as 'Respect for Life Counselling Centre'. Salesian Brother Benedict Baek, who was previously involved for 20 years in the youth in need apostolate (group home) or youth at risk (youth in probation period) is the founder and director of this centre since 2016. Working together with one lay mission partner, Br Benedict meets some 7-10 young people every week for counselling, apart from his duties as house economer and provincial delegate for the Salesian Family.

Q: Br Benedict, why did you start this Counseling centre?

Yes, when you journey with the young people in need you are struck by many psychological challenges they face. Simply, we started this in order to help the young people more effectively.

Q: You have been living and working many years for the young. What is their main need?

At present our young people, in order to grow up healthy need to overcome their psychological difficulties in daily life. Young people need first of all to recover the awareness of their life goals and motivation and to recover their self-confidence and self-esteem. Especially growing up in divorced families they miss meaningful adults who would accompany them in their difficulties with a whole heart.

Q: What is the main challenge of the youth in Korea today?

In the highly competitive society of South Korea their main challenge is study and employment. Especially with the growing materialistic and consumerist society, the respect for life is fast diminishing in our society.

Q: What are the main issues that your clients bring to the counseling centre?

Our counselling ministry is facing mainly school drop-outs and various difficulties in personal relationship of the youth.

Q: And what about the parents of your clients?

Yes, behind the challenges of our young people are always their parents who struggle with the education of their children. We dedicate a lot energy and time to counselling parents.

Q: What is your dream as aSalesian Brother?

I dream and strive wholeheartedly to journey with the young people and live my religious life through their accompaniment.

Q: What is the reason for this development of counselling ministry in the Korean province?

Through Salesian Youth Ministry we are meeting many young people who face psychological difficulties. In particular, their challenges of adjustment to school, society or their depression, anger disorder, social phobia, self-harm, suicidal ideas, low self-esteem, low self-confidence, lack of morality, smoking, drinking, distrust of parents due to divorce or even missing their family life. We try to understand their hearts, their challenges and work with these kinds of youngsters for their better future.

20220120_KOR-(2).jpg

20220120_KOR-(3).jpg

20220120_KOR-(4).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5465(I)_New website on art and spirituality - made in Australia

ALA_5465 Great leap into the digital world by another senior Salesian By Fr. Elio Capra, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 10 September 2020 -- "My dear friends, Being home because of COVID19 gave me extra time to start a website on art and spiri...
    Date2020.09.10 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  2. 4991(I)_Sharing the wisdom from Europe Encounter of Salesian Brothers

Europe Salesian Brother Encounter 2019 - Barcelona By Bro. Jess Garcia, SDB Barcelona, Spain, 21 January 2019 -- Between January 17 and 21, the Salesian House of Martí Codolar in Barcelona hosted the European Encounter of Salesian Brothers ...
    Date2019.01.27 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  3. 4738(I)_We come to renew our loving devotion to Our Mother!

By Julio Motta, SDB Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 24 May 2018 -- It is and will be the precious tradition for the members of Salesian Family all over the world to celebrate this Marian feast in various ways and colors. In some provinces there wou...
    Date2018.05.27 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  4. 4620(I)_Get know Don Bosco

Vocation promotion in north east of Thailand By Br. Saraphan Kaeser Banpong, Thailand, 23 January 2018 -- During the Novena of the feast of Saint John Bosco our 5 young Salesians (four Priests and one Salesian Brother) were going out as a t...
    Date2018.01.24 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  5. 4478(II)_Fr. Joseph Sanong Chornthong passed away

By Fr. Kriengsak Joseph, SDB Hua Hin, Thailand -- On the 22nd August 2017 passed away in Hua Hin, Thailand, to the House of the Father our beloved Salesian Priest Sanong Chornthong at the age of 82 years - after 57 years of Salesian religio...
    Date2017.08.25 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  6. 4421(V)_25th anniversary of priestly ordination

By Fr. Anthony Kishore Minj, SDB Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 28 June 2017 -- Fr. Paul Leung SDB, the Delegate of Mongolia completed 25 years of his priestly ordination. In this auspicious occasion, to mark the event the delegation of Mongolia or...
    Date2017.06.28 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  7. 5845(III)_First Profession of 3 Salesians in Indonesia

By Fr. John Laba, SDB Jakarta, Indonesia, 4 August 2022 -- Salesians in the Vice-Province of Indonesia should be grateful to God because God is truly good and still loves the Salesian Congregation in Indonesia. The Salesian presence in Indo...
    Date2022.08.04 CategoryINA Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
  8. 5814(I)_Colorful celebrations for Feast of Mary Help of Christians

By Fr. Robinson Parappilly, SDB Tetere, Solomon Islands, 27 May 2022 -- “Have devotion to Mary Help of Christians and you will see what miracles are.” It was indeed a time of grace and miracles for Christ the King Parish Tetere,...
    Date2022.05.27 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
  9. 5703(II)_Seminar for New Teachers in Salesian Schools

The "Next" Normal for Salesian Educators By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 4 October 2021 -- On Saturday, 2 October 2021, from 09.00 - 12.00 hrs., the Education Commission of Salesian Schools headed by Fr. Thomas Smith Daengamphan, the chairpers...
    Date2021.10.04 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views646 file
    Read More
  10. 5696(I)_EAO: New ADMA centers - Formation - Mutual support

By ADMA EAO Congress Steering Committee ADMA EAO, 20 September 2021 -- One week after the deeply Salesian charismatic moments of the 2nd ADMA East Asia - Oceania regional congress (11-12 September) some 34 ADMA members, their spiritual anim...
    Date2021.09.20 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views646 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 ... 549 Next
/ 549