Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20210410_RMG.jpg

Missionary Message for the 11th of the month of April 2021

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB
General Councillor for Missions

RMG, 10 April 2021 -- ‘Missio inter gentes’ is a new term for a missionary approach which was born in Asia through the FABC. It is important to correctly understand it because it has profound consequences in our missionary activities today.

After Vatican II, unease grew in Asia – a land of ancient religions, rich cultures and myriads of poor people – about ‘missio ad gentes’. It was perceived as an insensitive monologue that created a relationship of teacher-pupil, foreign missionary-local people. In fact, St. John Paul II had lamented that Christianity is still considered ‘foreign’ in Asia, even though Jesus was born in this continent! (Ecclesia in Asia n. 2).

Unlike foreign missionaries, a growing number of missionaries from Asia and Africa, have breathed multiculturalism and interculturalism from birth. They have direct personal experience of the poorest contexts since childhood. They see their missionary activity, less as a direct proclamation of the Gospel and more as the incarnation of the teachings and person of Jesus through the witness of love and service.

‘Missio inter gentes’ is not in opposition but complementary to ‘missio ad gentes’. What distinguishes ‘missio ad gentes’ from ‘missio inter gentes’ are their two preceding prepositions which specify the attitude towards the ‘gentes’. The preposition ‘ad’ indicates an attitude which sees the other as the goal, the point of arrival, the receiver. While ‘inter’ indicates being in the midst of people establishing a relational connectedness with them.

Thus, ‘missio inter gentes’ is a way of proclaiming Christ by living the evangelical values. It advocates that missionaries serve people with respect, and humbly share their lives without any trace of arrogance or superiority, just as Jesus did. The charitable activities of individual Christians and the entire ecclesial community reincarnate the face of Christ. It is this lived experience of Christianity, through the action of the Holy Spirit, that could stir up the desire to know the person of Jesus.

‘Missio inter gentes’ is a missionary approach, applicable in every context, that sees the ‘gentes’ not as targets of our efforts to convert, but as ‘guests’ to whom we can offer hospitality, and ‘hosts’ who can, in turn, welcome us and offer us friendship. This is not a silent, wordless witness. The Gospel is shared by narrating one's own experience of faith among (inter) friends of other cultures and religions and by whispering the Gospel at opportune and unexpected moments.

The heart of ‘missio inter gentes’ is initial proclamation. Thus, its primary concern is to foster initial proclamation and not to teach Christological doctrines or to convert. Conversion is God's internal call and the persons’s free decision, not our work! By living our life in permanent state of mission, we shall not be timid when the Holy Spirit opens the door for us to proclaim Jesus Christ as the Saviour!

FOR REFLECTION AND SHARING

§ How do I whisper the Gospel to the young people entrusted to me?

§ How can my being a Salesian foster missio inter gentes?

20210410_RMG.jpg

Fr. A. Maravilla with students Ist Cagliero Ivrea

20210410_RMG1.jpg

Fr. A. Maravilla with students gabutu PNG

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4478(I)_A Home of Our Own

The Blessing of the Salesian Residence in Don Bosco Batulao By Fr. Martin Macasaet, SDB Batangas, the Philippines, 19 August 2017 -- As the retreat house or center for spirituality of the Salesian Philippine North Province, the setting comm...
    Date2017.08.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  2. 4727(II)_New Wine in the new Wineskins

4 Perpetual Profession in Myanmar FMA By CMY SC Team Anisakan, Myanmar, 13 May 2018 -- The 26 FMA of Cambodia and Myanmar (CMY) Province had its annual spiritual retreat from 3-11 May in Anisakan, Myanmar with the theme: “New Wine in New Wi...
    Date2018.05.15 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  3. 4796(I)_GEX (Giovani Exallievi) stands for 'Young Past Pupils of Don Bosco

2018 GEX animation in the EAO region started in Hong Kong By Mr. Alberto Piedade, EXDB GEX Councilor for Asia - Oceania Hong Kong, 23 July 2018 -- Two World Confederation Councilors - Alberto (Region of Asia-Oceania) and Angel (Vice-Preside...
    Date2018.07.24 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  4. 5571(I)_PNG: "Give and it shall be given to you"

By Ms. Joan Eko Don Bosco Technical School Gabutu, Port Moresby PNG, 18 February 2021 -- Held on Wednesday, 17 February, the theme of the celebration was “Give and it shall be given back to you” Luke 6:38. Archbishop Francesco P...
    Date2021.02.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  5. 5595(II)_Missio inter Gentes: Our Gift to the Universal Church

Missionary Message for the 11th of the month of April 2021 By Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB General Councillor for Missions RMG, 10 April 2021 -- ‘Missio inter gentes’ is a new term for a missionary approach which was born in Asia t...
    Date2021.04.10 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  6. 5653(II)_Students create Films of Hope, Faith and Inspiration

By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 20 July 2021 -- Creative short films illustrating the importance of Hope, Faith and Inspiration amidst COVID-19 were filmed by students from eight Catholic Schools in Port Moresby, the nation&...
    Date2021.07.20 Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  7. 5116_New Volunteers for the Cagliero Project

By Lauren Hichaaba Director of the Cagliero Project and AUL PDMA Melbourne, Australia, 14 June 2019 -- Volunteers are the beating heart of the Cagliero Project. We are forever blown away by the generosity of young people, and young at heart...
    Date2019.06.15 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1131 file
    Read More
  8. 5127(II)_From Dreams to Decisions

SDB - FMA General Councils By Our Own Correspondent Rome, Italy, FMA General House, 26 June 2019 -- Five months after the previous joint Council meeting on 17 January 2019 the two General Councils SDB and FMA met this time at the General Ho...
    Date2019.06.28 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1131 file
    Read More
  9. 5564(I)_Widening our Salesian horizons - ANS?

RMG, 4 February 2021 -- The central Salesian News Agency (ANS) has been at work on different digital platforms since 1993 and has become the global face of Don Bosco on a day by day basis. But for a variety of reasons, many Salesians of Don...
    Date2021.02.05 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1131 file
    Read More
  10. 5237(I)_Experiencing the ‘Pearl of the Pacific’ and the 'Land of the Unexpected'

ALA_5237 The longer I stay, the less I know By Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 26 October 2019 -- This is a personal sharing after years spent in the Vice Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands. Spending yea...
    Date2019.10.28 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1132 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 ... 545 Next
/ 545