austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Saitama - Tokyo, Japan, 29 November 2019 -- "From November 23 to 26 we received Pope Francis in Japan. We were surprised by his warm closeness, by his vigorous messages against the use and immoral possession of atomic weapons, on the protection of human life and the care of Creation, on the solidarity of refugees and immigrants." Thus says the Bishop of Saitama, Salesian Mario Yamanouchi.

I believe that no man can endure such a dense program of activities with such a diverse audience, always with a smile on his face: it was the presence of a man full of God's love. As a bishop I was able to shake hands with the Pope four times. I remember the second, after Mass in Nagasaki, when greeting me he said: "And you, behave yourself. See you soon ... ", before giving me a pat on the back and getting in the car.

The first gesture with which he entered into harmony with the bishops

On the evening of the 23rd, as soon as he arrived at the Nunciature, he stepped from the car to greet about 200 people who were waiting under a heavy rain, thanking them for the welcome, without bothering to take cover himself. Then inside the Nunciature, when he finished reading the written greeting, he proposed an unscheduled program variation, saying that he was available if we wanted to ask him a few questions: "So we have a moment of fraternal dialogue."

After the third question, the President of the Episcopal Conference reminded him that the following morning the Pope had to take the plane at six and proposed to finish there. But the Pope spontaneously replied: "Ah, you are already tired, hungry, do you want to go home? I'm fine with you now, but if you want to go, no problem." After the translation there was a burst of laughter and then time for two more questions/gifts: the last one was by me, who gave him a "bolero" (a traditional game) with the papal coat of arms, while I asked him a question.

Meeting with young people in Tokyo Cathedral

On 25 November, after the meeting of the triple disaster in Fukushima, he arrived in the Cathedral of Tokyo to be welcomed by numerous children from various elementary schools. Then, upon entering, he was greeted by the youthful bustle of 900 voices. Three children then spoke, and I was very impressed by the second testimony, that of a teacher of Buddhist religion who neither his family nor the people in his school knew was a believer and a practitioner; and also from the third, of a Japanese-Filipino boy, a victim of bullying. The Pope encouraged everyone and gave everyone a rosary with his blessing. Everybody shouted continuously, but they didn't say: "Papa Francisco", but, with a Japanese accent: "Viva, Papa Franciscó". Many other gestures and episodes remain that are etched in my heart, some visible even on my Facebook page.

I conclude with the words in Spanish, with which the young people of the University of Sofia greeted the Pope at the exit: "Esta es la juventud del Papa".

Related news article (Espanol): Religion Digital (Spain) - Interview with Bishop Yamanouchi before the Pope visit in Japan 

https://www.religiondigital.org/mundo/Monsenor-Mario-Yamanouchi-pastoralmente-Japon-periferias-existenciales-francisco-visita-papal_0_2177182265.html

20191129_GIA8.jpg

20191129_GIA9.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4454(III)_Mamma Margaret presented as role model for Samoa Salesian Cooperators

Samoa - Formation of Salesian Cooperators is going on By Cl. Kevin Fiame, SDB Apia, Samoa, 31 July 2017 -- The regular monthly gathering of Salesian Cooperators in Alafua (Apia, Samoa) took place on Friday July 28, 2017. The main purpose of...
    Date2017.08.01 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views947 file
    Read More
  2. 4831(III)_Important time of growing in communion with the Rector Major

Thailand-Cambodia-Laos (THA) Province extraordinary visitation starts By Fr. Ekasit Andrea, SDB Bangkok, Thailand, 25 August 2018 -- Today on August 25, Fr Václav Klement, Councillor for the East Asia-Oceania Region, started his Extraordina...
    Date2018.08.26 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views947 file
    Read More
  3. 4928(III)_This is the opportune time!

Annual meeting of EAO Missions Animators in Cambodia By Fr Ding Cortez Provincial delegate for Missions Animation FIN Sihanoukville, Cambodia, 23 November 2018 -- The gathering of EAO Provincial Delegates for Mission Animation (PDMA) here i...
    Date2018.11.24 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views947 file
    Read More
  4. 5047(I)_St John Bosco Parish Sunday School Year 2019

By Cl. Afi'a Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands, 24 March 2019 -- As the new academic year begins in Fiji, the Catechetic classes (Sunday school) have also started. It is wonderful to see the young come from our parish centres in Muanikoso, Mako...
    Date2019.03.25 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views947 file
    Read More
  5. 5294(II)_New Rochelle - appoints new Salesian Missions Director - Fr. Augustin Baek

ALA_5294 By Salesian Missions, New Rochelle (USA) New Rochelle, USA, January 2020 -- "With extremely mixed emotions, I write to you today for the last time as director of Salesian Missions. After 11 dedicated and rewarding years of service ...
    Date2020.01.13 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views947 file
    Read More
  6. 5329_The 'Parasite' movie: Oscar and poor young people

What make the "Parasite" (기생충 - Gisaengchung) so attractive? By our own correspondent EAO Region, 28 February 2020 -- Although the 'Parasite' Korean movie hit was released already last May 2019, until the recent 'Oscar' A...
    Date2020.02.28 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views947 file
    Read More
  7. 5804(IV)_Salesian Family Novena 2022 to Mary Help of Christians

World, May 12 2022 -- As part of the solid Salesian charismatic tradition, the 2022 Salesian Family Novena to Mary Help of Christians is available with a daily animating video (ANS news agency YOUTUBE) in 5 languages. The 44-page accompanyi...
    Date2022.05.12 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views947 file
    Read More
  8. 6174_FIN Province Gathers to Pray for the Deceased Salesians

By Cl. Benjo Ian Mangila, SDB Don Bosco Canlubang, 04 November 2023 - The Salesians in the Philippines North Province (FIN) gathered at the Diocesan Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, to commemorate their deceased confreres, particularly t...
    Date2023.11.05 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views947 file
    Read More
  9. 4482(I)_"Young People, Faith and Vocational Discernment"

Salesian Youth Movement Gathering in Timor-Laste By Fr. Joao Costa, SDB Lospalos, Timor-Leste -- On the 25th to 27th of August, the Salesian Youth Movement (SYM) Timor-Leste held the national forum for 2017. The national forum of SYM is a y...
    Date2017.08.29 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views948 file
    Read More
  10. 4835(I)_“Responding to the Call to Holiness in Today’s World”

Annual Formation Gathering 2018 By Dcn. Anusit Chanphen, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 27 August 2018 -- Ongoing formation is one of the necessary elements for all the Salesians in terms of growing maturity and responding profoundly to God and...
    Date2018.08.30 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views948 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 545 Next
/ 545