austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190124_PGS.jpg

‘I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done unto me according to your word’ (Lk 1:38)

By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB

San Antonio Parish, Panama City, 23 January 2019 -- The experience of being welcomed by simple, warm and friendly people with a readiness to be of help at all times has been the hallmark of my stay thus far. Panama has been dressed up for the occasion with banners and flags and above all a radiating spirit of joy and happiness.

San Antonio parish hosts over 700 pilgrims. Coordinating transport and pickup and catering to different needs in several languages has been done by a team of dedicated volunteers young and old. I was warmly welcomed by Luis Luis Antonio Vega, a short distance from the parish. He spoke Spanish and I spoke English and despite the barrier of language we made ourselves understood. Always keen to be a assistance, I enjoyed visiting the Omar Park and a visit to the Panama Canal, Miraflores locks – a unique system that has been in operation for over a century.

Young people from all over the world have come with a lot of energy as pilgrims to experience the Lord under the motherly mantle of Mary, who comes with the message of service: ‘I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done unto me according to your word’ (Lk 1:38). Her ‘Yes’ has changed the course of history. Our young people are ready to do the same.

The Vocations Fair at the Omar Park is an opportunity for young people to deepen their vocational discernment through workshops, stands, moments of prayer, games and vocational spiritual direction. Entitled, ‘Follow Me’ it is the joyful proclamation to a specific vocation that we are called by God for a lifelong project: matrimony, religious life, the priesthood or being committed laity.

Amidst the many stalls was the one of the Salesian Family where I met young seminarians, Salesians and sisters who also pass on their regards across the miles to the many they know personally. Radio Maria was another stall and I was happy to sign my name near the logo. Inspirational music led the many young people to sing, dance and pray.

Celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation in booths specially prepared for the occasion by the Correctional centre unit is an experience that I will treasure. The search for faithful catholic living is evident. Despite the heat the lines for confession are long and winding. Hearing the words, ‘I absolve you from your sins’ and believing that our relationship to God is a powerful experience of joy and happiness. Young and old make their way to this Garden of Peace entitled: Rejuvenation.

José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, OSA was the main celebrant at the Opening Mass of World Youth Day 2019. It was held at the Campo Cinta Costera, Santa Maria la Antigua on the 22nd January. Hundreds of bishops, priests and several thousands of young people gathered from all over the city to celebrate the event. The archbishop thanked the pilgrims and the people for this celebration of faith. “As pilgrims, we come to share the personal and living encounter with the Lord, united with young people from all over the world who add richness of culture, tradition and experience. We celebrate the glory of God as we confess one faith in many languages, to glorify God with prayer, love, forgiveness and in communion with all”, he said.

Walking long distances, traffic jams, travelling in buses and trains and seeking help from so many kind and generous souls, has been my experience. Meeting Fr Lionel Braganza and other Salesians from Kuwait and different countries of Africa has been an encounter. My sincere thanks to Gloria O’Reilly and Alan Lopez who assisted me along the way and made sure I reach home safely.

20190124_PGS1.jpg

20190124_PGS2.jpg

20190124_PGS3.jpg

20190124_PGS4.jpg

20190124_PGS5.jpg

20190124_PGS6.jpg

20190124_PGS7.jpg

20190124_PGS8.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5827(I)_Indonesia returns to in-person retreats

By Fr. Adie Prianto, SDB Tigaraksa, Tangerang, Indonesia, 26 June 2022 -- The Salesian confreres from the Vice Province of INA have just finished their yearly retreat in the SDB community of Tigaraksa. This is the first offline retreat sinc...
    Date2022.06.27 CategoryINA Reply0 Views879 file
    Read More
  2. 5860(I)_Cultural Festival at Kumgi

By Fr. Dominic Kachiar, SDB, Rector Kumgi, PNG, 30 August 2022 -- On the 19th August DBSTC celebrated the Cultural Festival as a conclusion to the variety of activities of "Bosco week". Cultural dances from 18 provinces were showcased by th...
    Date2022.08.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views879 file
    Read More
  3. 4668(I)_Course on the Preventive System of Saint John Bosco

By SC Team of Dalat Dalat, Vietnam, 11 March 2018 -- Don Bosco Da Lat has organized a course on the Preventive System of St. John Bosco for members of the Salesian Family in the locality. The organizers aim at equipping participants with ed...
    Date2018.03.14 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views880 file
    Read More
  4. 5001(I)_Welcome to Taiwan!

Migrant ministry in Taiwan - Filipino Salesian experience sharing By Fr. Peter E. Porio, SDB FIS missionary in Taiwan Tainan, Taiwan, 4 February 2019 -- On the occasion of New Lunar Year of the Golden Pig, I would like to share with you the...
    Date2019.02.05 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views880 file
    Read More
  5. 5510(I)_What kind of Salesian for the young people of Darkhan?

ALA_5510 By Fr. Andrew Nguyen Trung Tin, SDB Darkhan Don Bosco Centre, Mongolia, 15 November 2020 -- All of us Salesians were 'born' in the Oratory at Valdocco', the motherhouse of our Congregation. When we say 'Oratory' we immediately ima...
    Date2020.11.16 CategoryMong. Reply1 Views880 file
    Read More
  6. 4050_Journey Together (2) - Don Bosco Past Pupils

Don Bosco Past Pupils By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 26 June 2016 -- Formation for the SDB Delegates (DB Past pupils) The largest - most numerous group of the Salesian Family is without doubt the Don Bosco Past Pupils Association, born as a ...
    Date2016.06.29 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views881 file
    Read More
  7. 5309_PGS - Qualification of the confreres is on the way

ALA_5309 Revisiting the Wantok system in PNG as a locus theologicus By our own correspondent Quezon City Philippines and Port Moresby PNG, 2 February 2020 -- We congratulate the PGS Vice-province for the consistent effort in qualifying its ...
    Date2020.02.03 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views881 file
    Read More
  8. 5177(I)_10 newly professed Salesians in Vietnam

By Vietnam SC HCM City, Vietnam, 14 August 2019 -- Last Wednesday, 14 August 2019, the Salesian Province of Vietnam-Mongolia rejoiced with 10 new young confreres who for the first time expressed their complete belonging to God in the way of...
    Date2019.08.21 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views882 file
    Read More
  9. 5373_New vocations for Caritas Sisters of Jesus in Papua New Guinea

ALA_5373 Second presence in Kimbe is growing By Sr. Florentina Cho Caritas Sister of Jesus Kimbe, Papua New Guinea, 11 May 2020 -- We are six sisters, two Papua New Guinean nationals and four Korean missionaries with 4 first year aspirants...
    Date2020.05.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views882 file
    Read More
  10. 3929(IV)_Retor Major with Salesian Family (RM in EAO_10)

By Ms. Imelda Benitez-Domitita, ASC Makati City, Philippines, 5 March 2016 - The Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime, SDB, celebrated the Holy Mass for the members of the Salesian Family today, March 5, at 3:00 in the afternoon at the ...
    Date2016.03.06 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views883 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... 546 Next
/ 546