Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3019

Evangelising through teaching in a Catholic School
NILA, SHORTLAND ISLANDS, SI: 17 February 2012 -- The  first Teachers’ Seminar for the Catholic Diocese of Gizo with the theme Evangelising through teaching in a Catholic School, was held in Nila, Shortland Islands, recently .The workshop opened with Mass and was attended by the Teachers from St.John Bosco Nila Primary School, St.John Bosco Junior secondary, St.John Bosco Senior and Technical School, St.Annes RTC, chiefs from nearby villages and some members of the communities living in Nila. A total of 68 attended the workshop.

The Seminar’s objectives: 
(a) To understand the mission of the teacher as evangelizer while educating 
(b) To value the culture, enriching it and purifying it with the gospel values 
(e) Schools, communities and stakeholders to be aware of their roles and responsibilities and participate fully in all aspects of the schools developments 
(f)To deepen our understanding of our roles and responsibilities as Catholic Teachers and Communities in the 4  schools. 
(g) To understand and value our profession as teachers 
(h) To study together the educative and pastoral plan in a school setting and its purpose (i) To understand and value the areas of the plan

Facilitators: 
The Education Secretary for Gizo Diocese, Wryne Bennett (Mrs), Bishop Luciano Capelli SDB, the Principal of the St. John Bosco Schools Ms. Olivia Doblas, the Headmistress of Nila Primary School and Mrs. Mary Laore.

Achievements: 
On the first day, the Education Secretary reminded them to dwell on this message “You were called by your Baptism to be a leader and teacher, to be an example to the rest of the flock of a commitment to continue growing in the things of God; you were called to evangelize in the schools and community you serve.” 

The Vision and Mission of the Diocese of Gizo Catholic Education System followed on from here and was well introduced and noted by the teachers.

On the second day, Classroom management was presented by Ms Olive, and then Ms Mary Laore took the session on Leadership. 

A total of 68 participants attended the 3rd day including Chiefs from the nearby villages and the Nila communities of Sapusapuae and Kopakopana ,where Bishop Luciano Capelli introduced the Educative Pastoral plan.

The teachers and the community in Nila, after studying the pastoral plan, began drawing up their own  plan and this is to be continued during the year. They appreciated what the Seminar had presented them with. as some  had commented in their Evaluation sheet.

Seminar Evaluation from some of the teachers who attended:
  • I have learned a lot from this Teachers’ seminar .Most of the lectures and topics discussed and presented during the four days were very helpful
  • The seminar has helped me to see and understand the responsibilities and commitments of a Catholic teacher in order to help the students to learn and grow in their Catholic duties.
  • This seminar reminds me of my call to holiness. Educating with the Heart. Understanding of the role that I should perform within the school, community, and Nation at large. 
  • The seminar challenges me more on who I am, where am I standing. I learned the most important points of the vision-mission statements to focus my leadership as a leader whole-heartedly committed to my responsibility as role model for my children, pupils, students..

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
1910 India 1857_Recognising a great missionary 495
1909 Mongolia 1295_Rosary is all the go with the kids in Mongolia 495
1908 World 1179_WYD: any EAO link-ups possible? 495
1907 EAO 1149_June is 'ordination' month for EAO 495
1906 World 1119_PCN: Success through perseverance for worldwide Religious network 495
1905 THA 0642_HAPPY CHRISTMAS FROM CAMBODIA 495
1904 EAO 0395_UPDATES TO BOSCONET 495
1903 World 0112_SYNOD: OCEANIA BISHOPS PRAISE CATHOLIC SCHOOL 495
1902 FIS 2853_Pakistan: "bringing Christ to the youth of this beautiful country" 494
1901 KOR 2809_A Seminar for SDBs in perpetual vows 494
1900 VIE 2595_Salesian Family in Vietnam opens retreat centre and celebrates 'Family Day' 494
1899 FIS 2416_"Look down kindly on us Fr Felix, great man, good friend! We will miss you" 494
1898 Cambodia 2160_Fastest wheelchairs in Cambodia - 'Angkor Racer 2'! 494
1897 Cambodia 2130_WYD fever developing in Cambodia; further update on WYD 494
1896 World 0162_INDIA: SDB DROUGHT RELIEF PROGRAM SUCCESS 494
1895 GIA 3137_Rector Major visits Nagasaki 493
1894 KOR 3064_To all those who loved Salesian Father John Tae-Seok Lee, (1962~2010) 493
1893 KOR 3003_4 new priests and 5 deacons ordained in Korea Province 493
1892 Pac. 2709_Salesian students 'all shook up' on NZ outdoor excursion 493
1891 Mongolia 2317_A Mongolian Christmas 493
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 177 Next
/ 177