NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2964

Secrets of a long (and persevering) Salesian life!
by Nov. Jason

Note: From bishops to novices! This traditional sermonette leading up to the Immaculate Conception celebrations will do more than bring a smile. It carries a salutory message,

LAWA-AN --  One day a scientist was tasked with determining the health secrets of those who manage to live long into their old age. He went to the northern part of our country into the Mountain Province where there was a village peopled with men and women who reputedly live long and healthy lives.
The first old person who amazed him was more than 90 years old. With the help of a translator he began his interview.

“What is your secret of long life?” asked the scientist. The old man said:

“No meat. Purely vegetables and a lot of walking throughout the day. No vices, no alcohol and healthy family life”.

The scientist took down everything. And so he asked his final question:

“How old are you sir?”

To which the old man replied, “93”.

The next person he saw looked a whole lot older than the first.
The researcher again, with the help of a translator, began his interview.

“What is the secret of your life, sir?”

The old man replied, “Early to bed and early to rise. No meat. Just vegetables and fruits and a lot of exercise”.

“And so how old are you sir?” asked the researcher.

The old man said, “103”. 

Needless to say, the scientist was even more amazed. When he thought that nothing else could surprise him, there, sitting by the rock, he saw the oldest looking man in the entire village.
Quickly the research scientist approached the old man and with the help of his translator asked:

“Sir, what is the secret to your health?”

To which the man replied, “Plenty of meat. Plenty of wine and women. I sleep late and I never exercise”.

His answer really blew the mind of the scientist. Could he have stumbled upon an unknown health secret that provides longevity despite a frivolous lifestyle?
Quickly he jotted down everything the old man was saying.
And to finally close the interview, he asked:

“So tell me, how old are you sir?”

To which the man replied, “33”!

How about you dear brothers, what is the secret of your graceful existence in the abundance of God's goodness? What is the secret to your perseverance in the vocation you have received from Him? For me, my secret is that I always place my life in the arms of another man's wife - my mother, your mother, our mother, the Immaculate Conception, the wife of St. Joseph, and I am sure that this is not just my secret, but our secret, the fact that she led us all here.

On the very morning of Mama Margaret's death, Don Bosco took along young Joseph Buzzetti and went to celebrate Mass in the lower chapel of the shrine of Our Lady of Consolation. Here, after he had sacrificed the Divine Lamb and offered it to the Eternal Father for the repose of his mother's soul, he prayed for a long time before the statue of Our Lady. Among other things, he said to her: "Most Compassionate Virgin, my sons and I are without a mother now! Please be our mother from now on."

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
1430 PGS 0360_SOLOMONS; DIARY OF A BELEAGUERED COUNTRY PRIEST! 518
1429 AUL 0402_MURDERERS, DRUGGIES, THIEVES AND THUGS: NO MATCH FOR 'ST JOHN BOSCO' IN OLYMPIC CITY 518
1428 CIN 1033_Hong Kong Salesians prepare young people for Cologne World Youth Day 518
1427 THA 1071_Who moved my cheese? Whatever else you call it, 'planning' is the issue 518
1426 GIA 1364_Third volume of letters of Don Cimatti published - in Japanese 518
1425 AUL 2271_"The greatest treasure we have in the Province is one another": memorable celebration in AUL 518
1424 AUL 2720_On a day that missions are remembered in a special way ... 518
1423 KOR 3216_SOUTH KOREAN PROVINCIAL CHAPTER - KOR 518
1422 FIN 3256_Creating A Vocational Atmosphere (FIN) 518
1421 AUL 0136_IT'S OFFICIAL: FIJI FIRST! 519
1420 FMA 1175_FMA: First Private Elementary School in Phnom Penh 519
1419 THA 2026_One year later - Salesianity Sampran Course fruits? 519
1418 AUL 2184_Cagliero's Mission Lives On - first 'Cagliero missionaries' commissioned in AUL 519
1417 FIN 2694_Theatre retains its magic, despite social media 519
1416 EAO 2856_Causes and potential Causes in EAO 519
1415 FIN 2910_Bl. Ceferino taken as model for aspirants, prenovices 519
1414 FIN 3074_The Integration of Education and Evangelization 519
1413 CIN 3162_R.I.P Bishop Song SDB: "MHC is my life-jacket". 519
1412 FIN 3225_Firefighters Devoted to MHC (FIN) 519
1411 0186_Missing 520
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 177 Next
/ 177