Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

austraLasia #1946

The world is flat - maybe he fell off!

ROME: 27th September 2007 --  Readers may well have read and if not have certainly heard, of Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat", an interesting look at globalisation and digital culture.  Well, if the world is flat, there's a good chance that venturing near the edge is dangerous; one might just fall off!  So if readers had concluded, after three week's of silence, that austraLasia's coordinator had done just that, let me assure you I am safe and well!
    This number, #1946 follows on from #1945 three weeks ago - but there's a good chance it did not get through.  Basically I was in places where any attempt to send blocks of emails (groups, needed to send out austraLasia) failed.  And the only place where I do have a range of email groups, in GMail, was blocked by policy of one or other of the places I was in!  It is a problem needing resolution for the future. #1945 was a news item about the inauguration of a statue of Mary Help of Christians in the new and as yet uncompleted Shrine in Port Moresby - the item was eventually published through ANS.
    'The world is flat' is one perspective on today's digital culture. 'Digital Virtues' of course is another.  Your coordinator found himself in Bogotá at the invitation of CELAM, the Latin American Episcopal Conference, looking at the contribution that a 'virtuous' approach to digital culture might have for that continent.  A week later in Quito, where the Universidad Politecnica Salesiana (UPS) wishes to publish the book in Spanish and distribute it in that part of the world, then a third week in São Paulo where representatives from Salesian Formation Centres for Communication were gathered - there are about 30 such centres worldwide, 16 of them at university level, and the rest through non-formal education.  Most of these were represented in SP where they looked at increasing cooperation amongst themselves, and at the interface between media education (often termed educommunication in the 'Latin' world) and open source approaches. Interestingly enough, other than in South Asia, there are very few if any of these centres in English-speaking Salesian areas, and the SP meeting looked at ways of offering some courses in these places, by providing both course information and personnel on a 'mobile' basis.  If any of our formation centres in the EAO Region are interested in that possibility, they might make contact with the SC Department here in Rome.
   Ironic, then, that in three weeks of meetings regarding digital culture, the one thing that was not possible was to send out austraLasia!  The world might be flat, but I found myself on the rougher, pitted side of the coin!
    Correspondents are urged to get back to work, now they can be assured their news will get through. I look forward to items arriving.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xml Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2030 World 0884_Your handy reference to all things Salesian: test it out now 456
2029 World 1407_Open Source Don Bosco Part 1 456
2028 World 1773_"An Australian...from Camerano D'Asti" 456
2027 World 1796_The power of networking - maybe RIIAL has something to teach us 456
2026 FIS 1980_Business As Usual in Pakistan… 456
2025 RMG 2102_Evangelisation: Thai province shows how to do it in practice 456
2024 VIE 2308_First Vietnamese Sister for the Sisters of Charity of Miyazaki. 456
2023 Indonesia 3122_Making history in the Indonesian Delegation 456
2022 World 3186_"I want you to be really happy in body and soul" 456
2021 FIN 0105_FILIPINO ALUMNI CONFRONT ECOLOGY 457
2020 India 0615_CONGRATULATIONS TO MUMBAI PROVINCE FOR THEIR E-ZINE INITIATIVE. 457
2019 THA 0690_THAILAND: SALESIAN VICAR ADDRESSES 300 WORLD TEACHER REPS 457
2018 EAO 1143_Russian in our region! 457
2017 CIN 1217_Youth Ministry Delegates called to Hong Kong Feb 2006 457
2016 World 1644_Pre-release notice: material that should interest all Salesians, communicators at heart and by charism 457
2015 THA 1645_Thai Tsunami project complete: Salesian Family to the fore 457
2014 Pac. 1701_Fiji army chief promises 'peaceful transition' if he makes the move 457
2013 World 1741_The 'Da mihi animas..'' returns to its origins - almost 457
2012 ITM 1812_Presidential poll run-off in Timor Leste - but what matters most is for people to feel safe! 457
2011 EAO 1919_"Please switch off your mobile phones, in the name of the Father...." 457
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 177 Next
/ 177