?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1915

The virtue of digital publishing

ROME: 1st August 2007 --  
Digital VirtuesDigital Virtues, 'Reflections, frameworks and practical matters for Institutes of Consecrated Life and their members', has now been professionally published.  Given that an earlier austraLasia (#1903) spoke broadly of the contents of this book, let me focus this time on the publishing process. It was a logical conclusion of the subject matter which looks at, amongst other things, Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). At one point, in the chapter on 'digital discernment', the author asks 'why do I do (digital activities) the way I do? Is it worth questioning the processes I use? Could I do things in a more human way?".

This work was written, print-prepared, and ultimately published with those questions in mind.  It was published by Lulu.com, and it may be of interest for readers to know that the entire publishing process did not cost the author a cent.  It did require a series of decisions about how to prepare the material.  By the time the text went 'to the printer' (online, as a simple upload in pdf format) it was structured and formatted in a professional way, but the software used was FOSS, so that cost nothing either.
    How does a publisher make money if it costs an author nothing to publish?  To begin with it is print on demand, and the print cost per page would be slightly higher than 'normal' publishing where a certain print-run is set initially.  Of course, in this online process, if the author wants a copy of his own book, he buys it!  At €10.15 for a 190 page, full colour cover, perfectly bound paperback, this is very reasonable, and in fact the author buys it for somewhat less than that amount.  Lulu takes a 20% commission out of the extra couple of euro added on to the print cost. Nobody loses!
    My guess is that Salesians, by and large, have not ventured into this kind of publishing, though it was a Salesian who put me on to the idea.  It is, in my view, both a possible and in some cases desirable way to publish - having seen situations where rooms full of unsold books raise a question mark about economics as well as other things.
    All that aside, should you want a copy of Digital Virtues, want to preview it online or at least see the table of contents, or should you know a religious community or individual who would benefit from it, it suffices to go to http://www.lulu.com/content/1021109 where you can order it or at the very least fossick around in there to read up about this useful publishing process. For some reason, the book and its publishing process has struck a chord in Latin America, where they have promised me a Spanish translation within a short time, and wish to make use of it within the context of the Red Informatica de la Iglesia America Latina.  I hope it gets a few English readers as well!

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm   Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2530 Pac. 0966_O Happy Isles, O Happy Christmas 397
2529 World 0996_DBN: close on a million dollars distributed in aid 397
2528 FIS 1018_Lahore: "The most beautiful initiative for the poor young people of our diocese" 397
2527 World 2132_Pentecost in Pentameter - Saints, Dragons and Bards 397
2526 FIN 2550_Ondoy update: seminary reach-out 397
2525 Mongolia 1256_Getting the kids to church, Part II: Mongolia 398
2524 CIN 1381_China's independent Catholic voice - again 398
2523 PGS 1415_Media - powerful means of communicating values in PNG 398
2522 RMG 1504_Joseph Cardinal Zen: a 'Study in Scarlet' 398
2521 World 1794_Bolivia and Church web systems - something for all of us 398
2520 Indonesia 1957_Meeting of EAO Regional Formation Commission 398
2519 Cambodia 2010_Mission procurator from Holland visits Thailand, Cambodia 398
2518 VIE 2059_Latest from Vietnam 398
2517 VIE 2213_Vietnamese-American Youths Medical Mission in Vietnam and WYD with Salesians 398
2516 KOR 3026_KOR Volunteers depart on Feast of Sts Versiglia and Caravario 398
2515 PGS 1236_What did you had when you had no hope of getting to WYD? Ask the Solomon Islands! 399
2514 CIN 1668_HK's Fr Hon Tai-Fai outlines his approach at Asian Mission Congress 399
2513 Mongolia 3027_Ash Sunday in Mongolia, and Tsagaan Sar 399
2512 World 3252_The VDB concludes their 7th General Assembly 399
2511 Cambodia 1772_Salesian lay mission partners meet in Phnom Penh 400
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 177 Next
/ 177