Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1877

'Carpe diem' and blaze trails, says new Master of Development Communication

MANILA: 14th June 2007 -- In all the essential discussion on ongoing formation, occasionally people tend to forget that we live in a wired world, that major institutions deliver online courses, and that one can complete higher studies, if that is one's bent, calling or command, with a keyboard and internet connection.  But it helps to know of someone, one of us, who has actually done it, not just talked about the possibility of doing it.
    Enter the University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU) and Fr Gerard Ravasco, Filipino Salesian who has been working in Cambodia these recent years.  Despite - and in his case because - working full-time in a demanding Salesian mission and ministry, the one and only chance 'Gigi', as he is better known, had of furthering his already keen skills in communication was to do it by online delivery. On the 9th June, he emerged with a Masters of Development Communication from UPOU and, what's more, was selected by the university authorities to deliver the valedictory speech at his graduation.  'It was', he adds wrily, 'the only graduation I had ever attended since completing high school when I was 16, and on this occasion it was the first and last time (probably) I met my fellow students'!
    In an interview conducted on the day, Fr Gigi indicated that he pursued his graduate degree through distance education because, according to him, it is the most obvious cost-effective, time-productive, and research-intensive way to upgrade for full-time working people far from the place of study.  When asked why he chose UP Open University among other universities, Fr. Gigi replied that UPOU offered the program of his choice (Development Communication) and outside the Philippines, there are many open universities offering this course too, but the cost of tuition is 5-10 times that of UPOU.
    Fr. Gigi added that the courses he took at UPOU gave him a broader perspective of the work he does – this is essential for program planning. 
    One of the challenges he faced as a distance learner was that Cambodia doesn't have the most advanced technical infrastructure in Southeast Asia - in fact the technical school in Phnom Penh only got electricity in 1999. Looking for an internet connection was his greatest problem, especially when he began this course. But then, nor is any form of serious ongoing formation.
    When asked what is the best lesson that he has learned from being a student of UPOU, he responded, " During the 3rd National Conference on Open and Distance Education last February, I noticed that Former Chancellor Felix Librero always gets furious whenever other educators would comment that Open and Distance Education is far easier than the brick and mortar type. From my experience studying at UPOU, I would agree with Dr Librero's reaction. Distance Education at UPOU is really for mature and independent learners who are willing to take responsibility for their learning. It takes a lot of discipline to do your readings, make your researches, and finish your assignments while you are on a full-time job far from your school ambience. I'm sure my other classmates have more interesting experiences that can prove this point. All I can say is: Distance Learning at UPOU is not for the faint of heart".

This may be a good opportunity to take a look at the website that Fr Gigi has much to do with - and his own blog, 'Journeying', to be found at the bottom of the homepage:  http://www.donboscokhmer.org/ 

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm   Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.orgTo contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia1

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2470 PGS 3029_"I have a mission!" 542
2469 Cambodia 2896_Father John Visser: Officer of the Order of Orange-Nassau 542
2468 KOR 2836_Korean SYM leaders make solemn promise of service 542
2467 World 1915_The virtue of digital publishing 542
2466 PGS 0372_20 YEARS OF DON BOSCO IN PNG 542
2465 World 0250_THIS MAKES A GOOD READ - COMES VIA TONY BAILEY IN THE UK 542
2464 Indonesia 3247_ITM’s Indonesian New Confreres Welcomed, and More to Come! 541
2463 ASC 3079_Salesian Cooperators in Indonesia renew promises 541
2462 AUL 2908_Pride of Australia 'Inspiration' Award for key Salesian partner in mission 541
2461 FIN 2731_'Heaven on earth' targets the unchurched 541
2460 FIN 2662_Don Bosco Tech's Team Grigio ready for KL Eco-Marathon 541
2459 World 2556_Ad gentes-ad extra-ad vitam: the 141st expedition 541
2458 PGS 2048_PNG-SI: Patient work paying off - professions and novices 541
2457 Pac. 2000_Kingdom of Tonga gives Salesians a precious gift - a priestly ordination 541
2456 RMG 1652_137th Missionary expedition - EAO both giving and taking 541
2455 World 1368_On the Feast of St. Stephen - reactions to the death of Fr Philip 541
2454 FIN 0408_EAST TIMOR: TETUM NEW TESTAMENT A LABOUR OF LOVE 541
2453 AUL 0338_VIET-AUSTRALIAN SALESIAN WINS ACCOLADES FOR VIOLENCE PROGRAM 541
2452 RMG 0310_ NEW SALESIAN SAINTS 541
2451 AUL 0259_ALESIAN SPEAKS TO INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON GENETICS AND ETHICS 541
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 177 Next
/ 177