?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20170807_PGS.jpg

Interview with Br. Peter Khai

By Our Own Correspondent

Vunabosco, PNG, 7 August 2017 -- Br. Peter Khai, born in Daklak (Vietnam) as 7th of nine siblings in 1982, Salesian profession in 2006, missionary in PNG since 2010, Economer & In charge of the boarding house, PNG, East New Britain province, Vunabosco community.

Who is your model of Salesian Brother? What does attract you to become a Brother?

When I look at some Salesian Brothers in Vietnam, I like their life witness so much! For example some of them are very talented, for example in music or other skills useful in our Youth Ministry. But when I discovered my own motivation, I realized that I must become holy! Work and mission is not everything! On other side, Salesian priests have positions and I don’t like to compare or to ‘fight’ – so I resolved to be stronger in holiness! Yes, everyday holiness that is realized by ordinary life faithfulness – so I try to be more faithful! I know, it’s not easy to live Salesian vocation, since I know many Salesian Brothers who already left the congregation. I would like to be faithful in spite of the difficulties, based on prayer!

What makes you happy and joyful as Salesian Brother?

When we talk about Salesian Brother, we understand somebody who is well connect with people around us. Like if I go shopping, ordinary people they recognize me as Brother in the shopping mall (Tropicana in Kokopo). All the people in the market know me, since I talked to them every day when I go shopping.

Same happiness does happen also in our community life. Sometimes to live together is a big challenge, but mostly it’s a great support in my vocation.

And also in the mission, like here in the Agro-technical boarding school: when other people are happy - I’m deeply joyful!

Happy? Sometimes I’m not happy, but I’m deeply joyful! Our life of Salesian Brothers has not easy obstacle or experience fight due to the frequent contact with the secular world and society. Sometimes I’m troubled by these things, but as Salesian I’m deeply joyful!

I’m joyful, because I’m a Salesian, due to the charism of Don Bosco. Really it’s interesting and totally different compared to the diocese and other congregations. Usually I keep in touch with other congregation living in Kokopo (MSC, Marist, SVD). When we meet we ask each other: How are you, are you happy? When we talk together it’s very nice and we learn from each other.

God has given me a simple, but very special gift of Salesian Brother vocation. Also my relatives ask me what is so interesting in religious life? I can’t explain, but there is some deep excitement in my life, that makes me joyful.

I know that some Vietnamese brothers they are not faithful in mission land, so I made a simple resolution to be faithful in my vocation until the last moment of my life with a prayers. I'm always keeping in mind the quote of holy Salesian missionary bishop and martyr, Luis Versiglia: A missionary who does not pray becomes like channel detached from the source of living water....

How to enhance more the specific contribution and visibility of the Salesian Brother?

Usually Salesian Brother can communicate with the people outside more than the priest, although they respect the priest, but usually people can’t approach him more closely.

Sometimes our mutual relationship is about ‘psychology’ – some Salesian Brothers demand too much or complain. But actually the priests they support us a lot!

Yes, we face also more temptations. I’m just a Brother and I don’t need to pray like priests with their duties of the breviary (Liturgy of hours). So I just work more with a prayerful heart!

We need more focus and visibility in all kinds of Salesian media or Salesian Bulletin, like Br. Mon in Manila showed us the support in the FB or website about the Salesian Brother.

Any expectation, dream or wish about Salesian priest?

I’m glad that in my novitiate batch eight of us are Brothers and also in the next batch. We support each other. Yes, we need to pray to Bl. Artemide Zatti, Bl. Steven Sandor and Venerable Simon Srugi. We need to pray for the quality and new Salesian Brother Vocation!

If we look at some Brothers who are not holy, not zealous in the mission or in Salesian vocation we are not happy. But in the case of the Salesian priest, we feel still more sad! As Brothers we are upset, but at those mediocre Salesian priest we are really very sad. My expectation is that Salesian priest not only knows how to listen but to become holy. I don’t’ need a talented rector, but holy rector. It would help my fidelity in my vocation.

20170807_PGS1.jpg

20170807_PGS2.jpg

20170807_PGS3.jpg

20170807_PGS4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5345(III)_March 24 - Entrusting all humanity to Mary our Help

ALA_5345 What are we learning in the COVID-19 pandemic times? EAO Region, 23 March 2020 -- We all - humanity - are going through very special times: with more than 380,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and some 16,500 dead, now the novel Coro...
    Date2020.03.24 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1338 file
    Read More
  2. 3762(II)_The 50th anniversary of the death of Venerable Vincenzo Cimatti

By Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, SDB Tokyo, Japan - Today 6th of October 2015 we celebrated in Japan the Eucharist for the 50th anniversary of the death of Venerable Vincenzo Cimatti (1883-1965) in the chapel of the Salesian Seminary in Chofu on th...
    Date2015.10.09 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1339 file
    Read More
  3. 4769_"Do Whatever he tells you” (Jn 2:5)

Installation of the 15th China Province Superior By Fr. Carlos Cheung, SDB Hong Kong, 24 June 2018 -- One day shy of celebrating the Memorial of the St. Joseph Cafasso, our confreres and the Salesian Family of the China Province (CIN), rece...
    Date2018.06.24 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1339 file
    Read More
  4. 5318(I)_EAO Delegates for the General Chapter 28

ALA_5318 What is your prayer for the GC 28? By our own correspondent Valdocoo, Turin, 16 February 2020 -- After 62 years the SDB General Chapter is being held once more at Valdocco in Turin (GC 18 in 1958). The 222 Delegates who represent a...
    Date2020.02.17 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1339 file
    Read More
  5. 4638(IV)_How do we listen and accompany the young people in Japan?

The Salesian Spirituality Seminar 2018 By Mr. Chihiro Okawa, EXDB Tokyo, Japan, 10 February 2018 -- The Salesian Spirituality Seminar 2018 for the Tokyo zone was held on the 10th February in the Provincial House of the Caritas Sisters of Je...
    Date2018.02.11 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1340 file
    Read More
  6. 5135(I)_EAO region is very much alive in Holy Land

By Our Own Correspondent Holy Land, 10 July 2019 -- Have you ever visit the Holy Land of Jesus? Every year two million Christians (and another 2 million members of other religions) from all possible countries around the world visit Israel -...
    Date2019.07.11 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1341 file
    Read More
  7. 5284(IV)_The Hua Hin Vitthayalai School Brass Band

ALA_5284 Champions in the Band Contest: Open Division By THA SC Sisaket Province, Thailand, 29 December 2019 -- The brass band of Hua Hin Vitthayalai School participated in the "Thailand World Music Championships" [TWWC] - The Royal Trophy ...
    Date2019.12.30 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1342 file
    Read More
  8. 5581(I)_Meeting Online with Superiors in EAO

By Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc SDB RMG, Rome and EAO, 10 March 2021 -- From March 1-3, 2021, the Regional had an online meeting with the provincials/superiors of the EAO Region. This was the first meeting for the Regional and the annual one f...
    Date2021.03.10 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1342 file
    Read More
  9. 4844(II)_Salesians are following the path of fidelity

Rector major's greeting as GC28 fast approaches By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 8 September 2018 -- On the Feastday of Nativity of Our Lady, September 8, the Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime released his letter included in the Acts of...
    Date2018.09.08 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1343 file
    Read More
  10. 4737(I)_“Behold, your son.”

Don Bosco Da Lat celebrating the feast of Mary Help of Christians By Dalat SC Team Da Lat, Viet Nam, 24 May 2018 -- Every year, the Feast of Mary Help of Christians is the highlight of Don Bosco Da Lat. This year, great joy was added to the...
    Date2018.05.26 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1344 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 ... 549 Next
/ 549