?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20160816_FIN.jpg

"My vocation was to be a priest--not to get married!"

By Fr. Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB

Manila, the Philippines, 16 August 2016 -- Fr. Andres uttered these words to me as a matter of factly. His eyes searched for mine to convey his sincerity. He said this to himself as soon as he had realized that he wanted to become a Salesian priest. He was just in his early twenties back then. But he was already convinced of this.

This conviction would lead him to risk his future in the Salesian seminary in Mexico. This year, come 16 August, he marks his 60th year as a Salesian of Don Bosco.

One of the first things he did when the call to become a Salesian had become clear for him was to bid goodbye to Sofia, a beautiful Mexican lass, whom he was seeing for some time. He described his relationship with her this way, "We become one for the other."

When I pressed him to give me more pieces of information about Sofia, he admitted that he pursued her because he was obedient to his erstwhile Jesuit novice master.

That time, he recalls, he just left the Jesuit novitiate house after staying there for more than two years. The Jesuit novitiate formation lasts for two years. His novice master told him that he could continue to stay in the novitiate, but as long as he is the novice master, he could not allow him to profess as a Jesuit. Fr. Andres did not know the reason why he could not become one.

His novice master was rather straight forward in telling him that he did not have any vocation to the religious life. Fr. Andres recounts that he was told to go home and get married, to live a normal life, this is insofar as there are more ways than one to reach heaven. And so, he obeyed his novice master--until he met Sofia. But then again, he met the Salesians soon after. And once again, he gave his religious vocation a chance. However, at that time, he was "perfectly sure" that he wanted to become a Salesian.

Fr. Cervantes joined the Salesians at the age of 22. He made his First Religious Profession in August 16, 1956. He studied at Crocetta from 1959 to 1963. He was ordained in 1963 in the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians in Turin in a cold morning of February 11. He was supposed to be sent to Korea and Japan. But the superiors changed these obediences. He was sent to Thailand as a missionary. He worked in Thailand for only three years. The provincial of Thailand would send him back to Mexico, seeing that Thailand was not ready for the missionary activity.

When I ask him how he knew it, he casually tells me, "It is a mystery. But I never doubted that I will become a Salesian priest." He adds, "I am very happy to be a Salesian."

I asked him what is the most inspiring thing in being a Salesian, he responded that it is not a thing, but a person, “Don Bosco!” Fr. Andres emphasizes that as soon as he got to know Don Bosco, he instantly decided to become a Salesian.

One of the most unforgettable assignments he has had in the Philippines is his being a confessor in Bacolor, Pampanga, a task he shared with the late Fr. Peter Garbero. His eyes lit up when he brought up the news to me that he read about the re-opening of Bacolor.

Aside from the Philippines, he was also sent to East Timor and Thailand to do mission work for a good number of years before being asked to return to the Philippines in 2008.

Because of his old age and weak physical condition, Fr. Andres is currently staying at the Zatti Clinic inside the Don Bosco Technical Institute, Makati compound.

When I asked him about the secret he keeps on how he has remained faithful through the years, he motions with his fingers and utters, "I have two." "First, have a great devotion to the Blessed Mother... Mary Help of Christians! The Redemptorists in Baclaran got it right. Mary is not just our help. She is our perpetual help!" “And the second?” I prompted him for his second secret. He casually said, "Love for Don Bosco."

Fr. Andres Cervantes is 60 years a Salesian. But more than what the pop song says, he does not merely shine "bright like a diamond." His rays glisten far more than this, because he is a shining example of what a Salesian is: A sign and bearer of God's love to the young!

20160816_FIN1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5586(II)_ASC KOR Province Laudato Si' Awareness Campaign: Leveled-Up

By Yang Sang Lee ASC Seoul, 21 March 2021 -- The ASC members of KOR Province have been very active in their efforts towards environmental protection. Their massive Laudato Si' Campaign has started outstandingly and has created several c...
    Date2021.03.21 CategoryASC Reply0 Views992 file
    Read More
  2. 4039(II)_"I miss my life, I miss my country"

By Our Own Correspondent with Fr Bernie Graham Youth Ministry delegate AUL 20 June 2016 -- Yesterday, Pope Francis recalled in his midday Angelus greeting that Monday is World Refugee Day, sponsored by the United Nations, with the theme '#W...
    Date2016.06.20 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views993 file
    Read More
  3. 4550_Joint Meeting with Youth Ministry and Social Communications Delegaters

By Fr. Bernard P. Nolasco, SDB K' Long, Vietnam, 12 November 2017 -- Fr. Joseph Nguyen Van Quang, SDB, the Provincial Superior of the Vietnam Province, opened this wonderful Sunday by presiding over the 7:00am Holy Mass with all the partici...
    Date2017.11.13 CategoryEAO Reply2 Views993 file
    Read More
  4. 5551(II)_More than one thousand EAO Salesian Family members explore the roots of Hope

By our own correspondent Sal Fam Days EAO Region, 16 January 2021 -- One Salesian Sister from Myanmar shares after this first historic online encounter: "Congratulations! It was very beautiful. We enjoyed the day and we became more hopeful....
    Date2021.01.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views993 file
    Read More
  5. 5672(III)_Rector Major encourages EAO ADMA Congress preparation

ADMA EAO, 16 August 2021 -- D-26: Last four weeks of preparation for the Second ADMA Congress in the East Asia-Oceania region has seen the visible growing enthusiasm of ADMA and other Salesian Family members. Especially remarkable is the in...
    Date2021.08.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views993 file
    Read More
  6. 4389(IV)_Coraggio! - A long journey to become a Salesian Cooperator

Akira Taniguchi (left) with Mr. Chihiro Okawa, DB Past Pupil Shizuoka Salesio Cooperators are growing in vocation By Mr. Akira Taniguchi, ASC Shizuoka, Japan, 26 May 2017 -- Among the 27 newly promised Salesian Cooperators coming from 6 dif...
    Date2017.05.26 CategoryASC Reply0 Views994 file
    Read More
  7. 4613(I)_The Impact of Social Media Communication on Youth in the era of Globalization

First National Conference of GEX in Timor-Leste By Mr. Alberto Piedade Dili, Timor Leste, 14 January 2018 -- GEX (Don Bosco Young Alumni) Timor-Leste has recently nominated three responsible members namely: Mario Martinho, Americo Valentim ...
    Date2018.01.17 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views994 file
    Read More
  8. 4680(III)_Twenty newborn in Christ

Celebration of Palm Sunday of the Lord’s passion in Darkhan By Ms. Bolor Uyanga Darkhan, Mongolia, 25 March 2018 -- The Palm Sunday ceremony began at the courtyard of Don Bosco Centre at 10 am. His Excellency Wenceslao Padilla, bishop of Mo...
    Date2018.03.26 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views994 file
    Read More
  9. 5201(IV)_Mystery of God's call

Vietnamese vocation story By Br. John La Thanh Long, SDB Vietnamese missionary to Brazil Rome, Italy, 15 September 2019 -- The 150th Salesian missionary expedition (29 September 2019) is prepared for by a four week course for the 36 new mis...
    Date2019.09.16 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views994 file
    Read More
  10. 3911_A more significant witnessing

By Fr. Randy Figuracion, SDB Lawaan, Philippines, February 19, 2016 - After four days of intensive reflection and discussion, the 8th Provincial Chapter of the Philippine South Province (FIS) successfully came to an end. It had twenty-eight...
    Date2016.02.20 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views995 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ... 545 Next
/ 545