?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1232 Comment 0

20170605_CIN.jpg

By a participant

Hong Kong, 4 June 2017 -- This year Pentecost Sunday has fallen on June 4th. For Hong Kong Catholics and Christians this coincidence is full of meaning. June 4th is the day when more than a 100,000 Hong Kong people every year make memory of the young victims of the Tian An Men massacre on June 4th, 1989. They do so by gathering at night in Hong Kong’s Island only big park, the Victoria Park, for the Candlelight Vigil whose motto is: “Lament the massacred democracy fighters! Carry on the spirit of the martyrs!” This year was no exception and it is the 28th time that Hong Kong people do so.

Every year Christian and Catholic participants gather earlier than the rest for a Prayer Vigil in a secluded section of the park. This year the Prayer Vigil reflected on the Tian An Men Movement, the self-sacrifice of the young peaceful demonstrators victims of the massacre, the stubborn will of many people in mainland and in Hong Kong to remember this sacrifice, in spite of urges by both Governments to forget it or at least let it go.

The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit were reviewed one by one and seen clearly present in the events commemorated and in the stubborn commemoration itself. The Prayer Vigil this year concluded with the blessing given by Franciscan Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Ha and a dozen priests and pastors who had taken part in the Prayer Vigil along with hundreds of the faithful.

In the Candlelight Vigil itself, participated by more than 100,000 people each holding a lighted candle, echoes of the the action of the Holy Spirit could be felt in the moving songs sung by the assembly, in the witness given by phone by Ms. Ge Guirong, one of the Tiananmen Mothers, in the live witness given by Lam Yiu-keung, a Hong Kong eye-witness of the Tian An Men massacre, and in the sharing of social activist Pastor Chu Yiu-ming who spoke of the candle of hope, lighting again the dying flame of the candles of peace, truth, and love.

Young people were not absent from the podium. University student Siu Chui-ping thanked his family for making him aware of the meaningfulness of something that had happened before he was born. A musical group of secondary school students, the Boyz Reborn, presented a song composed by them in memory of the young victims of Tian An Men. Listening to them, I remembered what GC27 52 says: "Young people are our ‘burning bush’ through which God is speaking to us.” I was also reminded of the challenge thrown to us by GC27 73.5 that calls us to “educating the young to justice and lawfulness, to the socio-political dimension of evangelization and charity, walking side by side with them as agents of social transformation in a spirit of service for the common good."

20170605_CIN1.jpg

20170605_CIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5032(I)_Postnovitiate brothers rediscover the spirit and relevance of Saint Thomas Aquinas and Medieval Philosophy

By Br. Romnick Tabaquero, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 8 March 2019 –- The first year and two second year Postnovitiate brothers from Canlubang, together with Fr Ryan Oliver Bautista, SDB, participated in the first FPSF (Faculty of Philosop...
    Date2019.03.10 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1227 file
    Read More
  2. 4185_“Well done Syl”

Vocation story of Br. Sylvester Kuli, SDB By Bro. Sylvester Kuli, SDB Boroko, PNG, 1 November 2016 -- Being a typical village boy (tok pisin - ples man), I never ever dreamt of being a religious or a public servant in my child hood. My idea...
    Date2016.11.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1228 file
    Read More
  3. 4588_Prevention not Repression

2017 Winter Seminar for Salesians in Initial Formation By Fr Benedict Kim, SDB Daejeon, South Korea, 20 December 2017 -- Korean Province holds two seminars for the Salesians in initial formation each year, one during summer and the other on...
    Date2017.12.21 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1228 file
    Read More
  4. 4810(II)_Consistent contribution to the visibility of Salesian Brother

Listening to the Salesian Brother - 30 Youtube interviews online By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 7 August 2018 -- During past one year all EAO provinces have been encouraged to work on the visibility of the Salesian Brother. Two days before t...
    Date2018.08.07 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1228 file
    Read More
  5. 4893(III)_"Salesian Cooperators: called to be co-responsible in responding to the new challenges”

Fifth World Congress of Salesian Cooperators open in Rome (Sacrofano, Rome, October 25-28) By Mr. Thomas Lee, ASC Korea Province Formation Councillor Rome, Italy, 26 October 2018 -- It is exciting to participate in the World Congress of the...
    Date2018.10.26 CategoryASC Reply0 Views1228 file
    Read More
  6. 5203(I)_Brother Jean Paul Müller SDB Visiting TLS Vice-Province

By Fr Julio Mota, SDB Dili, Timor Leste, 18 September 2019 -- The General Economer, Brother Jean Paul Müller, has been visitingTLS for the past four days. He was accompanied by the Provincial Economer, Fr. Gui do Carmo, visiting some commun...
    Date2019.09.18 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1228 file
    Read More
  7. 5228(I)_"The Family Saved and Saves"

Salesian Family Recollection 2019, FIN By FIN SC Makati, Manila, Philippines, 12 October 2019 -- The Salesian Family Recollection Day was held last 12 October 2019 at the Joy Center of the Don Bosco Technical Institute Makati. The recollect...
    Date2019.10.16 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1229 file
    Read More
  8. 4073(I)_Summer with Jesus

By Nguyen Tao Chu Prong, Vietnam, 19 July 2016 -- During Summer vacation 2016, Salesian parish of Thanh Binh (Chu Prong, Gia Lai) has organized "Summer with Jesus" for children to help them to have a fun summer, creating courts rewarding pl...
    Date2016.07.20 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1230 file
    Read More
  9. 4563(II)_Discerning if the initial attraction to the Salesian life is indeed God’s call

By Asp. Palep Begiglen Port Moresby, PNG, 22 November 2017 -- We, the 16 college aspirants of PGS Vice-Province, had our annual retreat in Emmaus Conference Centre, Port Moresby last Nov 18-22. The theme developed by our preacher was “disce...
    Date2017.11.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1230 file
    Read More
  10. 4850(II)_How to pray together with non Christians?

Daily inter-religious prayer in Thai Catholic schools By Our Own Correspondent Bangkok, Thailand, 13 September 2018 -- In every Catholic and Salesian school in Thailand in the morning assembly or evening assembly (boarders) are offered pray...
    Date2018.09.14 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1230 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 ... 548 Next
/ 548