Larger Font Smaller Font 向上 向下 Go comment 打印
?

Shortcut

Prev上一页 文章

Next下一页 文章

Larger Font Smaller Font 向上 向下 Go comment 打印
austraLasia 1658

Spain's El Pais notes DB Poipet's role in fighting child exploitation

MADRID: 30th September 2006 --  Spain's widest-circulation Daily, El Pais, ran an article on 9th September on the situation in Cambodia relating to the exploitation of children. Columnist Lola Huetes Machado analyses the problems which involve children in a range of exploitative activities by adults, often close relatives or friends and also tourists.  She included in her process of consultation and research the Don Bosco Shelter for trafficked and street children in Poipet.
    According to the El Pais report, there are some 4 million women and 2 million children worldwide caught up in a network of trafficking, and Cambodia is one of the most vulnerable locations in that phenomenon.  Quoting a Salesian who shares responsibility for the Poipet DB Shelter, the article says that "mafias look for children in the villages, promise money to parents (that never comes), and the children are lost forever".  A number of children from the Shelter were interviewed by El Pais.  The interviews hint at the situation, the veritable 'slavery' faced by so many children: "I used to ask for money in Bangkok with my mother, and sometimes we worked on construction sites but she died", said a 7-year-old girl at the Centre. A 15-year-old boy relates that "The police arrested me in Bangkok. I was in prison with many adults. I used to sell sweets that my owner gave me".  Another boy, 14, says that "We worked with some men. I didn't know my parents. I used to sell flowers in Bangkok. If I did not bring money they put me in a tank of water. A woman called the police.  They knew I was Cambodian and brought me here".
    Cambodia has become a paradise for the wrong kind of tourism, notes El Pais, a reputation that the Government, international organisations and local communities try to fight. Don Bosco Poipet is one of them but not alone.  It networks with many of the other organisations fighting Cambodia's most serious evil.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com  Try out BoscoWiki to be interactive.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.

List of Articles
编号 分类 标题 查看
378 World 1792_The Gospel according to Judas - austraLasia's first podcast! 540
377 World 3105_Study Days - Salesian presence among Muslims 539
376 World 1331_What's green, cranked, cheap, and educational? 538
375 World 0447_DON BOSCO ALUMNI PRAISE CHRISTIAN EDUCATION RECEIVED 538
374 World 2015_Building bridges in turbulent parts of the world 537
373 World 2985_This most Salesian of months 536
372 World 2336_St Francis de Sales, Communications and the Salesian Family 535
371 World Ex-catechist of Kwangju Salesian High hikes a group of Mamma Margarets around Piedmont 535
370 World 2736_Sister Veronica Nwe Ni Moe and her Salesian sisters are building up the Church, one child at a time. 533
369 World 2148_Pope's prayer for China 533
368 World 3292_What makes them tick? Interview with Bro John Bosco Tien Dung Vu, heading for Peru 532
367 World 1840_The new look ANS - please take a look at www.infoans.org 530
366 World 2459_You've heard of 'tweets' and 'Twitter', but do you know about 'tiddlers'? 529
365 World 3442_Jerusalem-EAO: Ministries and Profession 529
364 World 3424_Witness Experience Reflection of GC 27 528
363 World 2372_Don Bosco History and Spirit Volume 5 now available 528
362 World 2916_A resource (and more ) that you may find useful 527
361 World 2029_An interesting translation tale with a Salesian twist 525
360 World 2766_Pot Pourri 525
359 World 3154_Braido's 'Don Bosco the Educator, Part II: Narrative pedagogy' 524
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 35 Next
/ 35