?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1385 Comment 0

20160126_GIA.jpg

By Fr. Ambrosio Da Silva, SDB

Hamamatsu, Japan, 26 January 2016 - For thousands of reasons to be disciple of Jesus in Japan is not-so-easy, indeed the 1999 Salesian Mission Day launched by Fr. Odorico was entitled: ‘The challenging Proclamation of Christ in Japan’. There is about one million of Catholics, with more than 50% of them being migrants from many different nations. Majority of the Catholic migrants are Brazilians with Japanese roots. The most recently arrived missionary confrere to Japan province, Fr Ambrosio da Silva Lucas arrived from Timor Leste just two weeks ago. He joins the multicultural parish community of Hamamatsu and is getting settled.

His rector Fr Angel is deeply impressed: ‘For the first time Ambrosio experienced snow and real winter. He entered our environment very easily. Already since last Monday he started to study Japanese language. You feel immediately that he has facility for languages. Is able already to celebrate the Eucharist in Japanese (in ‘romaji = Romanized Japanese script). There are 8 volunteers who helped him in the language studies. He looks at home. We have no difficulty in communications, since we speak in portugués-portuñol. Next Tuesday we will go to greet our bishop in Yokohama’.

Fr Ambrosio is also very keen to share his first days of missionary life. Although he was already a student in the Philippines for past four years, this is another special chapter of his life:

“It has been 10 days since I arrived here in the land of Samurai, the second homeland of Venerable Fr Vincent Cimatti. Everything is different and new especially as I was told many time before arrival, I’m encountering this new and cultural shock (the weather, the food, the language…). At the moment I’m struggling with the Japan winter weather now.

But I always thank God and Don Bosco for keeping us Salesians in ONE culture and ONE spirit. I can really feel in these days the culture of "Family" with the spirit of "Joy" that our father Don Bosco is cultivating in us. I was welcomed by the Japan Provincial, Fr Mario and the Provincial secretary Fr Sato and stayed in Tokyo Provincial house for three days.

Right now I am in Hamamatsu City with my rector, Fr Angel Yamanouchi and Fr Evaristo Higa and orienting myself into the beauty of this SDB community that is serving different migrant communities with their respective languages: Portuguese, Japanese, Spanish, English and Tagalog. Since last Monday I celebrate every night at 8 PM the Eucharist for the faithful in Japanese language. Of course the other confreres - Fr Angel or Fr Evaristo are always with me. It is not easy to advance in the Japanese language. However I firmly believe and trust in the power of the Holy Spirit and of Mother Mary Help of Christians. Indeed this is not my Mission or our mission but HIS Mission! I give thanks to God for this opportunity to be a missionary, Salesian missionary in Japan!’

I was deeply touched by the Good Night Talk of Mother Teresia Furuki of the Caritas Sisters of Jesus (AustraLasia news 3874, January 17). I want to say, that her experience is very true. Last Friday (my first day in Hamamatsu), Fr Higa called me to pray and bless a young man (22 years old) who committed a suicide.”

Arigato gozaimasu.

20160126_GIA1.jpg

20160126_GIA2.jpg

20160126_GIA3.jpg

Tokyo Provincial House

20160126_GIA4.jpg

Mother of Fr. Lucas da Silva

20160126_GIA5.jpg

Lucas da Silva in Timor Leste

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 3886(I)_From Timor Leste to Japan, Hamamatsu

By Fr. Ambrosio Da Silva, SDB Hamamatsu, Japan, 26 January 2016 - For thousands of reasons to be disciple of Jesus in Japan is not-so-easy, indeed the 1999 Salesian Mission Day launched by Fr. Odorico was entitled: ‘The challenging Proclama...
    Date2016.01.26 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1385 file
    Read More
  2. 4964(II)_For the mutual understanding

Traditional joint Quinquennium meeting Japan and Korea By Fr Taniguchi Ryohei, SDB Nagasaki, Japan, 28 December 2018 -- Japan province is very happy to welcome our confreres from Korea to one of the memorial places of our faith and history ...
    Date2018.12.29 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1387 file
    Read More
  3. 3673(I)_We are loved by God

By Fr. Antonio Takei, SDB Mie, Japan, July 11-12 - The Southern Block of Mie held a summer camp in Salesian Aspirantate, Yokkaichi, Mie, Japan with a theme: “We are loved by God.” This Summer camp had been organized for the children in thes...
    Date2015.07.15 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1399 file
    Read More
  4. 4774(I)_20th Edition of Festa Junina Hamamatsu

Brasilian Catholics in Japan celebrates Festa Junina By Hamamatsu Brasilian Catholic Community Hamamatsu, Japan, 24 June 2018 -- Last weekend, June 23-24 was celebrated the 20th edition of FESTA JUNINA, a traditional feast of Brasilian Cath...
    Date2018.06.29 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1410 file
    Read More
  5. 4609(II)_Joint Council of Salesian Family Japan with Joy

Sharing the dreams of the Salesian Family By Mr. Chihiro Okawa, EXDB Tokyo, Japan, 12 January 2018 -- The Joint Council of the Salesian Family of 2018 was held on 9th in the provincial house of the Caritas Sisters of Jesus (Suginami, Tokyo)...
    Date2018.01.13 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1422 file
    Read More
  6. 4907_Rector Major visited the Cimatti Museum

RM's visit to Japan (2) By Fr Michael Lap, SDB Tokyo, Japan, 8 November 2018 -- Today is the second day of the Rector Major Fr Angel Fernandez Artime's visit to Japan. We are happy to have him in Japan as the presence of our founder Don Bos...
    Date2018.11.09 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1430 file
    Read More
  7. 4919(II)_EAO Formation Meeting Starts in Japan

By Fr. Michael Lap, SDB Yamanaka, Japan, 16 November 2018 -- Surrounded by nature, by a lake with Mt. Fuji in view, East Asia and Oceania Regional (EAO) Formation Commission is having their bi-yearly meeting at the FMA Sisters’ retreat hous...
    Date2018.11.16 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1448 file
    Read More
  8. 4913(I)_The Salesian Family in Japan Say Good-bye to the Rector Major

Rector Major's visit to Japan (8) By Chihiro Okawa, EXDB Tokyo, Japan, 13 November 2018 -- Fr Ángel Fernández Artime, the Rector Major of the Salesians successfully finished his visit to Japan early on the morning of 13 November 2018, and h...
    Date2018.11.13 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1448 file
    Read More
  9. 5130_How to attract young people to Salesian Parishes

The 49th Annual Salesian Parish Gathering of Tokyo Metropolitan Area By Mr Chihiro Okawa, EXDB Tokyo, Japan, 30 June 2019 -- The 49th annual Salesian Parish Gathering was held on 30th June at Mikawashima Parish (Arakawa-ku, Tokyo). About 15...
    Date2019.07.01 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1454 file
    Read More
  10. 4906(III)_The Rector Major's Visit to Japan 2018 Started

RM's visit to GIA (I) By GIA SC Tokyo, Japan, 7 November 2018 -- Fr. Ángel Fernández Artime, SDB, the Rector Major and his secretary Fr. Horacio Lopez arrived safely at Haneda Tokyo airport late at night on the 7th Nov. The Visit of the Rec...
    Date2018.11.08 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1455 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25 Next
/ 25